My 10 Most Influential Books. I am thinking chronologically what books shifted something in me irrevocably, whether it was culturally, craft-wise, spiritually, intellectually or what have you.
1. Funnybones by Janet and Allen Ahlberg. First book I learned to read on my own.
2. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
3. Alex Haley’s Roots
4. The Autobiography of Malcolm X
5. Down These Mean Streets by Piri Thomas
6. Yo! by Julia Alvarez
7. The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda. Really I’d put all of Castaneda’s books on here.
8. Women Who Run with the Wolves by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes
9. True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh
10. A Song of Ice and Fire. Really the whole Game of Thrones series has done a number on me.